Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Home-Ec 101 in the Comfort of Your Own Home

Sounds Like I Need To Get This Since I Know Little To Nothing About Home Ec

Home-Ec 101 in the Comfort of Your Own Home: "

Home Ec 101 BookI’ve been pretty open about my prior complete lack of domestic skills, and the fact that it’s an area that I’ve really been trying to grow in over the last few years. Given this, I was thrilled to be given the chance to review the book Home-Ec 101: Skills for Everyday Living by Heather Solos. It’s like taking a Home-Ec 101 class from the comfort of your own home!



The book is broken up into sections called Cook It, Clean It, Fix It, and Wash It. I really enjoyed each section of the book, and couldn’t believe how many times I said, “Hey Eric – listen to this!” (I did most of my reading while we were on a car trip.) Some of these mentions included me saying things like, “Did you know we’re supposed to clean (whatever)?” To which he would say something like, “Uh…no.” Luckily, not only did we now know that we had to clean things we didn’t even know we had, but there were also directions.


One of the ones I was most excited about was the shower drain. We’ve been having trouble off and on with a funky smell in our bathroom. After not figuring out where it was coming from for a while, we finally wondered about the shower drain. Imagine my delight to read about it in the book, complete with directions on the best way to clean it out.


There were so many wonderful tips and gems that I found throughout the book — I can’t wait to try them all out. I have already been implementing some of her laundry tips, and I’m seeing some nice results. I plan on trying some more tips from throughout the book soon, and I’m positive that this will be one of those books that I pull off the bookshelf from time to time when I need to read about how to do something around the house.


I love the conversational tone of Heather’s book, as well as all of the humorous remarks throughout. Who knew I would laugh so many times while reading a book called Home-Ec 101: Skills for Everyday Living? How can you go wrong with a book that quotes Sheldon Cooper and the Choppin’ Broccoli song from Dana Carvey?


I think this book would be an amazing gift to give to someone who is newly starting a household, as a wedding shower gift, to someone leaving home for the first time, or for a friend or relative who struggles in this area. (Of course, it would be best if that last one was also someone that you knew would appreciate it and not take it as a hint that you think they are Home Ec Challenged.)


Is there an area of Home Economics that you feel like you lack skills? What is something that you would like to learn how to do (or just do better)?



No comments:

Post a Comment