Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hypothyrodism Information That Applies to Me

Thyroid Tidbits: Men with low iron, Reverse T4 (yes, I said it correctly), Inflammation in thyroid patients, plus more: "


"CHECK OUT WHAT THIS MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST SAID:
In a facebook discussion, a female medical transcriptions has had a realization. Namely, in almost every report she is transcribing into text or digital format, a patient with the diagnosis of hypothyroidism also has a medical history of depression and/or anxiety. You can read about depression & anxiety here. Of course, no patient who is informed is surprised! They are HYPOTHYROID symptoms. And she then notes the prescription ordered by the doc: Synthroid. WAKE UP DOCTORS. You are only dooming your patients to a lifetime of depression, anxiety and far more."
I spent years being depressed for no reason. I spent thousands on antidepressants with minimal success. Never did my physicatrist ever order any blood tests on my thyroid or suggest that I have my primary care doctor do it. Thousands of dollars misspent, thousands of hours of life missed out on and more. Grrrrr.


"WHY MANY OF YOU HAVE INFLAMMATION (and don’t even know it), WHAT IT DOES, AND HOW TO TREAT IT
One thing I see a lot when doing phone consultations, as well as on thyroid patient groups, is evidence that someone has low-grade inflammation. In fact, research has already shown that a large body of folks with hypothyroidism have higher levels of CRP (C-Reactive Protein) which is a lab test marker of inflammation. That inflammation, in turn, puts you at a higher risk of heart disease."
My CRP has been very elevated for several years, so much so that once I found out I was hypo, I requested that my doctor refer me to a cardiologist for some heart tests.  Thank God, the gave me a favorable report.  I believe my doctor ordered a new CRP test on me so I should get those results tomorrow.  I am hoping that the CRP is down and the TSH is stable.  The last two days are the most normal I have felt in a long time. Yeah!

"Another clue that you have an inflammation problem is having higher ferritin levels (i.e. ferritin looks great, or is too high) along with poor iron serum/% saturation lab results. In other words, in the presence of chronic inflammation, your iron will be diverted to your ferritin iron storage, and less will be in your serum and saturation. You can also find yourself with very low TIBC (Total iron-binding capacity). The TIBC is measuring the protein “transferrin”, made in your liver, and which transports your iron through your body. If this is the case, you can’t take high levels of iron supplementation, as explained on the above ferrritin page and more in the book."
I need to check out my ferritin level to see if my ferritin has been running on the high side, can't remember and was just told it was in the normal range.  (You think I would know by now that 'normal' on tests are suspect).

"What do you do? 1) Treat your hypothyroidism properly–a huge step in lowering that inflammation–with desiccated thyroid, NOT Synthroid. (Read the Things We Have Learned page on STTM, or even more details in Chapter 3 in the new Revised STTM book). 2) Treat proven low cortisol with HC or hydrocortisone. If saliva cortisol tests (Don’t guess! Do a saliva test!) reveal you have adrenal dysfunction, cortisol supplementation will help counter inflammation. (Read the Adrenal Info and How to Treat page on STTM, or more details in Chapter 6 in the new Revised STTM book.) 3) Use Krill Oil as a supplement. Krill Oil is an even better marine fish oil with rich amounts of Omega 3 fatty oils, and research with even a low dose of 300 mg proves that it does a bang-up job in reducing inflammation as well as pain in joints associated with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. My own husband is on 1000 mg a day."
I am still on synthroid, my doctor does not prescribe anything else.  My sister's doctor does, so she is a possibility if I don't get to feeling well and get my levels right.  I haven't done a cortisol test and am not currently taking Krill Oil.  Information to keep and ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment