Monday, March 21, 2011

Updated Pantry Basic: Homemade Ketchup With Honey

This post is from one of my new favorite blogs, An Oregon Cottage.  We are Heinz ketchup lovers and go through way too much of it.  In the event I decide to make our own ketchup I want to remember this one.  I didn't print it out as I don't want to

Updated Pantry Basic: Homemade Ketchup With Honey: "A Pantry Basic is anything we normally use and have in our pantries that most people buy from the store- and some (like me!) didn't even know could be made at home! See more pantry basics here.



Homemade ketchup was one of the first things I wrote about when I started blogging. I loved the ease of making our own ketchup and that I could control the ingredients and I was excited to share the recipe I used.

Now that I've been making it for more than three years, I thought I should share the updated version I make now that uses only honey as the sweetener (no processed sugars)- and uses a lot less. We still love it, and my kids continue to douse their food in it (teens and ketchup...) with no grumblings about any changes.

Here's my new updated recipe:

Homemade Honey Ketchup* (Printable Recipe)
  • 12 oz. tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 c. vinegar
  • 1/2 c. water (or more, for a thinner consistency)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  1. Combine until smooth in a saucepan.
  2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes (you'll need to partially cover because it will spit hot tomato out at even the lowest simmer).
  3. Keep refrigerated. If it thickens too much in the fridge, just add some water (a couple teaspoons at a time) to reach pouring consistency.
  4. Makes 2-1/2 to 3 cups.
*This is doubled from the recipe I originally posted because this is the amount I always make and it fills our container. If you need less, cut everything down by 1/2. And yes, that would be only 1/4 cup of sweetener for the 1/2 batch- can you believe it? That's some good ketchup!

-Jami

No comments:

Post a Comment