Friday, February 4, 2011

DIY: Long Necklaces, Managed.

Cuter than mine is, better frame, burlap and coffee hooks - mine plain ole generic cork bulletin board and clear thumb tacks. It works but doesn't look as cute as this.


DIY: Long Necklaces, Managed.: "

2010_02_08_6418

I had a cute necklace holder a few years ago that broke, and a new one has been on my shopping list ever since. I have looked at several in different stores but never found one that I like or that would accommodate my looong necklaces. Those are the ones that have been tangled up in my drawer and really need to be managed in the first place, so that’s the priority. Last week, Chris ended up detangling a knot of necklaces while I finished getting ready to leave the house, and I decided that I would just take matters into my own hands and make one for myself.

I made it a priority to get to the thrift store on the day that the artwork was 50% off, and walked home with this cool frame for about $5.

2010_02_08_6427I removed the glass, picture and matting and pulled out some old foam board that I had never used. I cut the foam board, wrapped it in some heavy burlap (of course) and hot glued the edges around the back.

2010_02_08_6434

I picked up some padded hooks from Walmart for about $1. They started off white, which was just a little too stark for the frame, so I spray painted them beige and then rubbed on a little wood stain. This was a better color but left them tacky and messy, so I put a coat of matte Mod Podge and they sealed up nicely.

2010_02_08_6390

I wanted the hooks to be exactly 2 inches apart, so I got out the measuring tape and marked the back of the foam board in pen before I twisted the hooks through. I put 2 smaller hooks at the end of the row for shorter necklaces, and 2 at the bottom for bracelets.

2010_02_08_6432

I love it! Of all of the things that I have made, this was certainly the easiest. A perfect combination of cheap, fast, functional and pretty. A+

I’m linking up to The Girl Creative, Cottage Instincts, Making the World Cuter, Made it Monday, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Make Your Monday, A Soft Place to Land, Talented Tuesday, Today’s Creative Blog, Toot Your Horn Tuesday, Show and Tell,Works for Me Wednesday, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty Thursday, Transformation Thursday, Show off Your Stuff, Creative Cats, Finding Fabulous, Design-Aholic and Funky Junk Interiors.

"

No comments:

Post a Comment